Sunday, March 25, 2007

YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Well the Who Concert was last Friday night (3/23) and despite RogerDaltrey just being cleared to start performing again, it was pretty darn cool. Granted it's not like seeing The Who in 1973, but it was still Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey performing songs you've heard a zillion times. Really awesome.

Rose Hill Drive was the opening band. They are a young trio and play a bluesy style of throwback rock in the same vein as Led Zeppelin or Cream. We got there a little late so only saw them perform 2 songs, but they were pretty cool. I've read Pete Townshend is really into them.

The Who opened up with I Can't Explain which was killer. They have lots of video screens. 3 ginormous ones to show to all the angles of the venue and then 5 larges ones behind the band on stage that they can move up down right left all independent of each other so it's a good visual tool. During I Can't Explain they showed a bunch of early concert footage of The Who, some of it was them performing I Can't Explain in the 60's which was pretty neat.

They did most of their really big hits, Baba O'Reiley, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, You Better, You Bet, Eminence Front... and more. They played some songs from their latest album, Endless Wire, which were pretty cool too. I've looked at setlists from early concerts and it seems they were playing more of their new album. There are a couple of songs on the new album I was looking forward to hearing that they didn't do for my show. I'm guessing it's because of Roger's illness and how it messed up his voice, they are probably trying to get the big hits in and save his voice for the next show.

(for my mom) Before they played Real Good Looking Boy Roger Daltrey talked about how he was inspired to become a singer when he was a kid... by the Real Good looking Boy, Elvis. During the performance of that song all the video screens behind the band were showing pictures and footage of Elvis. I tried to get a picture with my crappy cell phone camera, but no luck.

I was worried when they started doing Won't Get Fooled Again if Roger was going to wimp out on the big YYYEYEEEAAAAHHHH that's SO famous, but he didn't... he let it out and it was awesome! Pete Townshend is still a great guitar player and showman and he did plenty of his trademark windmill move.

All in all a great concert!

Here's the setlist I stole from a site on the web

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Baba O'Reily, The Kids Are Alright, Substitute, Eminence Front, A Man In A Purple Dress, Black Widow's Eyes, Dirty Water, You Better You Bet, My Generation, Cry If You Want, Naked Eye, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theatre

No comments: