Sunday, February 19, 2006

Burnin' Down The House

Well not really... but I smoked us out.

Last night Heather went to bed and asked me to close the flue in the fireplace before I went to bed. So I did... then I poked at the pile of ashes to make sure everything was okay. Well... it wasn't. There was a pile barried under ash that was still lit (no flames, just burning embers). Well as you can guess with no ventilation the smoke started to fill up the room pretty quickly.

I panicked. I went and woke up Heather and was kinda freakin' out. By this time the living room was basically filled with smoke. I opened the back door and the windows in the living room. It was about 18 degrees outside so that felt great. I wasn't sure how to get that thing opened without burning the crap out of my hand. I ran around trying to find a flashlight... with no luck at first. (Flashlights seem to get lost in our house alot... or we have gnomes that come and steal them). I remembered there was one in Heather's car. I ran to the garage and Heather's passenger door was locked. So I had to run back inside, grab my keys and go unlock the door. I grabbed the flashlight from her glovebox. I ran back in the house and used the flashlight to see what the hell I was doing in the fireplace. I opened the flue.

I stayed up for about another hour with the windows open and the ceiling fan on trying to air out the living room. We both kind of stunk like smoke so Heather took a bath and I grabbed a quick shower.

It was pretty exciting.

Woke up this morning with a little more snow and ice on the ground. I'll be parkin' it inside today.

J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a city boy, don' know how you've made it this long. Hint, don't bet outa the city limits.